Welcome to 20th Annual Convention of Strategic Management Forum 2018
"Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship curriculum in the era of Disruption".
The global environment today is dotted by dynamic, complex and incessant political and technological changes. On the one hand, we have the onset of de-globalization, marked by tariff impositions and trade wars among once economically-friendly nations. On the other hand, technology is disrupting industries and business models in hitherto unimaginable ways, making it difficult for businesses to rely on conventional wisdom and historical precedents to take decisions. Business schools themselves are not insulated from this reality, with technology-driven Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) leading the way in rendering certain aspects of campus learning experience irrelevant. As suppliers of talent to organizations, business schools are at crossroads to critically examine the strategic management curriculum with a view to preparing graduates with skills and competencies required to manage and lead organizations of the future. On the one hand, there is a confluence of ideas in Strategic Management with adjacent fields like Business Models, Entrepreneurship and Design Thinking both drawing from and contributing to the body of knowledge. On the other hand, changes in demography, learning patterns, and attention spans have made it imperative to identify and adopt novel pedagogical approaches to prepare millenials with the requisite skills demanded by the job market of the future. The 20th annual convention of the Strategic Management Forum hopes to be a platform in leading this discussion on how the academic ecosystem, and Strategic Management professionals in particular, can respond to these changing realities. The theme for the convention is "Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Curriculum in an Era of Disruption".
Through the convention, we are looking forward to facilitating a conversation on the following topics:
- How to create/improve course design.
- How to improvise with pedagogical innovations.
- How to improve the teaching notes for the cases taught in the course.
- How to change assessment techniques to give better feedback to the students and achieve course objectives.
The convention aims to provide an opportunity for teachers of Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship to share their research on efforts to improve student's learning experiences through the convention podium. The collection of abstracts will be published in the form of a compendium. Further, the convention will also provide academics an opportunity to receive inputs on curriculum design through lectures, panel discussions from academics of eminence representing global institutions. The convention hopes to foster an ecosystem for exchanging and sharing expertise on all aspects of curriculum centered on disruption impacting Strategy, innovation and Entrepreneurship by assembling leading academics, thinkers, researchers and policy makers.
SMF was registered as a non-profit body in January 1997. It has leading management institutions/corporates and professionals as its institutional and individual members. IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Indore, Management Development Institute, XLRI, IIT Bombay and Hindustan Latex are its Institutional Members. The Forum is one of the few virtual organisations in the country. It has so far successfully organised 80 events attended by 2700 participants with the help of leading management institutions without having any regular staff or physical asset of its own. For more details,
About IIM Trichy
About the Convention
- The convention aims to provide an opportunity for teachers of Strategy, Innovation and Entrepreneurship to share their research on efforts to improve student's learning experiences through the convention podium. The collection of abstracts will be published in the form of a compendium.
- The convention aims to provide academics an opportunity to receive inputs on curriculum design through lectures, panel discussions from academics of eminence representing global institutions.
- The convention hopes to foster an ecosystem for exchanging and sharing expertise on all aspects of curriculum centered on disruption impacting Strategy, innovation and Entrepreneurship by assembling leading academics, thinkers, researchers and policy makers.
List of Topics
With the intention of inductively capturing various sources of disruption, we invite papers from distinguished academics and industry professionals on the following indicative sub-themes of the convention:
- Industry 4.0: Future of Work & Strategic Management Education.
- Teaching Strategic Management for developing Job Competencies.
- Teaching Entrepreneurship and New Venture Creation.
- Crafting novel business models for complementing strategy.
- Bringing Strategy as practice to the classroom.
- Bringing Leadership into Strategic Management Curriculum.
- Leveraging Technology in Business Education.
- Fostering Innovations in Strategic Management Curriculum Design.
- Fostering Creativity & Innovation: Pedagogical Approaches.
- Enhancing the use of Simulations in Strategic Management Learning.
- Experiential Learning and Role-play in Strategic Management.
- Teaching Strategy implementation through Experience: Live Projects.
- Innovative use of Audio Visual (AV) and Information Technology (IT) tools in the classroom.
- Teaching Strategic Management using materials from non-conventional sources: e.g. films, books, poems, news etc.
- Innovation in case method.
- International Perspectives on Pedagogy of Strategic Management.
Convention Advisory Board
- Dr. Bhimaraya Metri, Director - Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli & Chairperson - Strategic Management Forum.
- Prof. Arunaditya Sahay, Dean (Research), Birla Institute of Management Technology.
- Prof. Rishikesh Krishnan, Director - Indian Institute of Management Indore.
- Prof. (Retd.) Krishna Kumar Former Professor and Dean (AA), IIML, Former Director, IIMK.
- Prof. Ashutosh Kumar Sinha, Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Management Lucknow.
- Prof. Atanu Ghosh, Professor, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
- Prof K V Mukundhan, IIM Trichy.
- Prof Karthik Dhandapani, IIM Trichy.
Dr. Bhimaraya Metri
Dr. Gerard George
|Mr. Rajnish Mehta
Executive Director- Corporate Strategy and Planning,
Prof. M. R. Dixit
Prof. J Ramachandran
Prof. N Venkiteswaran
Dr. L S Ganesh
Dr. Subash Sharma
Dr. B Mahadevan
Dr. M K Sridhar
Dr. R Karunamoorthy
Mr. Richard Rekhy
|Tuesday, December 25, 2018|
|12:00 PM||-||1:00 PM||Registration|
|1:00 PM||-||2:00 PM||Networking Lunch|
|2:00 PM||-||3:30 PM||Workshop 1|
|3:30 PM||-||4:00 PM||Tea Break|
|4:00 PM||-||5:30 PM||Parallel Track Presentations|
|7:30 PM||-||9:00 PM||Director's Dinner|
|Wednesday, December 26, 2018|
|10:00 AM||-||11:30 AM||Inauguration (Download presentation)|
|11:30 AM||-||11:45 AM||Tea Break|
|11:45 AM||-||1:15 PM||Panel Discussion on Strategic Management Curriculum in an Era of Disruption.|
|1:15 PM||-||2:15 PM||Lunch|
|2:15 PM||-||3:15 PM||Parallel Track Presentations|
|3:30 PM||-||4:30 PM||Special Talk 1|
|4:30 PM||-||4:45 PM||Tea Break|
|4:45 PM||-||6:15 PM||Showcase Event|
|8:45 PM||-||10:45 PM||Gala Dinner|
|Thursday, December 27, 2018|
|10:00 AM||-||11:00 AM||Special Talk 2|
|11:00 AM||-||11:15 AM||Tea Break|
|11:15 AM||-||12:45 PM||Panel Discussion on future of Business Schools and Management Education|
|12:45 PM||-||1:45 PM||Valedictory|
|4:00 PM||-||5:30 PM||Parallel Track Presentations|
|1:45 PM||-||2:45 PM||Lunch|
HOW TO REGISTER
Authors whose papers have been accepted for the convention have to remit the convention registration fee through NEFT/IMPS or other types of online fund transfer. The registration fee includes conference kit, admission to main conference, technical sessions, plenary sessions, workshops, lunch, networking breaks with refreshments, Director's dinner and Convention dinner.
The registration fee for various categories are provided below:
- 4000 per participant: Early Bird Registration (by Nov 26, 2018).
- 5000 per participant: Late Registration (after Nov 26, 2018).
- 3000 per participant: For Participants from Tamilnadu*
Participants should hold a position of office or be registered students in an organization/institution domiciled in Tamilnadu to avail the concession in registration fees.
The bank account to which the registration fees has to be remitted is provided below:
|Payee Name||-||IIMT Conference Account|
|Bank & Branch||-||State Bank of India, IIMT (Gundur) Branch.|
|Account Type||-||Current Account|
|Branch Address||-||IIMT Campus, Chinna Sooriyur Village, Trichy - Pudukkottai Main Road, Tiruchirappalli-620024.|
We have limited on-campus accommodation for participants attending the convention. The accommodation will be provided to interested participants on a first-come-first-serve basis at reduced rates. Participants have to register for the convention to request for the on-campus accommodation. Such requests have to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, participants can arrange for their own accommodation and travel to the institute. Some of the popular hotels in Tiruchirappalli are: